Henley Branch Line
|Henley Branch Line|
|Stations (from south to north)|
The Henley Branch Line is a branch railway line between Twyford, Berkshire and Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, England. From 2006 it has been marketed under the brand name "Regatta Line". Train operation is by First Great Western.
From a junction with the Great Western Main Line at Twyford railway station, it turns north and goes under the A4 on its way to its next stop at Wargrave. From Wargrave, it crosses the River Thames into Oxfordshire and proceeds to Shiplake, the third stop on the line. Finally, from Shiplake it continues to the town of Henley-on-Thames, where the line terminates.
This line is 4½ miles (7.2 km) long and is not electrified.
The line was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1857. Goods traffic was withdrawn by the Western Region of British Railways in 1964, which also meant the end of steam locomotive working on the branch. Since the privatisation of British Rail it has been operated by Thames Trains and First Great Western Link.
- Karau, Paul (1982). An illustrated history of the Henley-on-Thames Branch. Wild Swan Publications. ISBN 0-906867-03-7