Romford to Upminster Line
Places served by the line are:
Originally built as part of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway and opened on 7 June 1893, the line now diverges from the Great Eastern Main Line at Romford. It is known colloquially as the Romford Push and Pull. The line is entirely within Travelcard Zone 6.
It is single-track throughout, and is electrified at 25 kV, 50 Hz a.c., Overhead Line. Electrification of the line saw an end to years of speculation about the future of the line. There is only one intermediate station, at Emerson Park. At Upminster there is no longer a connection to the LT&S line as the District Line tracks form a physical barrier.
Passenger services are currently operated by 'one', who replaced the previous operator, First Great Eastern, on 1 April 2004. Trains are normally formed by a Class 315 electric multiple unit (which are currently being refurbished with new interiors) or occasionally by a Class 321 electric multiple unit.
The current service pattern on the route (as of 2006) is one train every 30 minutes on Mondays to Saturdays between approximately 6.00 and 20.00. There is a slightly increased service during peak hours where the line runs at full capacity. The journey time from one end of the line to the other is 8 minutes.