List of companies operating trains in the United Kingdom
There are various types of train operating companies in the United Kingdom. These companies are usually classified by the type of train they operate.
Passenger operators in Great Britain
Current passenger operators
Defunct operating companies
A number of operating companies have ceased to exist for a number of reasons, including premature withdrawal of the franchise; the natural term of the franchise has expired; bankruptcy; or there has been a merger.
|Wrexham & Shropshire||Open-Access||N/A||Laing Rail & Renaissance Trains||Spring 2008|
- Grand Central has proposed running services between London and Bradford along the West Coast Main Line, and for proposed semi-fast services between Bradford and Doncaster under the name Grand Union.
- Renaissance Trains, the owner of Wrexham & Shropshire, has proposed running services to several destinations under a number of brand names:
Passenger Operators in Northern Ireland
- Northern Ireland Railways - (domestic services)
- Enterprise - (Belfast-Dublin service, jointly operated by Iarnród Éireann)
- Compass Tours
- DPS Railtours
- Hertfordshire Rail Tours
- Pathfinder Tours
- Scottish Railway Preservation Society
- Venice-Simplon Orient Express
- Vintage Trains
- Direct Rail Services
- English, Welsh and Scottish Railway
- Mendip Rail