NER 66 Aerolite
66 Aerolite preserved in the National Railway Museum
|Configuration||2-2-2T, rebuilt as 4-2-2, rebuilt again as 2-2-4T|
Aerolite was built in 1869 as a replacement for an engine of the same name built by Kitson's for the Great Exhibition in 1851 and which was destroyed in a collision in 1868. The engine, like its predecessor, was used to haul the Mechanical Engineer's saloon. Originally a 2-2-2 well tank, side tanks were added 1886, and around this time it received the number 66.
In 1892 Aerolite was rebuilt into a 4-2-2, destroying much of the original engine. The well tank was removed, the side tanks expanded, and the two-cylinder Worsdell-von Borries compounding system applied. In 1902 it was again rebuilt into a 2-2-4T.
|Locomotives of the London and North Eastern Railway|
|Pre-grouping railway designs|
|Great Central Railway:||A5 - B18 - D11 - J11 - O4|
|Great Eastern Railway:||J65 - J16 - J17 - Y5 - J17 - N7 - ?? - J69 - B12 - J66 - D13 - E4 - J15 - J70|
|Great North of Scotland Railway:||D40|
|Great Northern Railway:||C1 - C2 - J6 - J52 - K3 - N2|
|North British Railway:||D34 - J36 - Y9|
|North Eastern Railway:||B16 - E5 - D17 - J21 - J27 - J72 - Q6 - Q7 - X1 - Y7|
|Gresley:||A1 - A3 - A4 - A8 - B17 -D49 - J38 - J39 - J50 - K4 - P1 - P2 - U1 - V1 - V2 - V3 - V4 - W1||Thompson:||A2 - B1 - B2 - K1 - K5 - L1 - O1 - Q1||Peppercorn:||A1 - A2 - A6- A7 A9 - K1 -||Raven:||A2 - H1|