Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway
|Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway|
It connected the West Lancashire Railway's lines to the north of Southport to the CLC Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension Railway at Altcar and Hillhouse railway station, it became known as the 'Downholland branch'. It ran from 1887 to 19 January 1952.
The short section of line that contains Meols Cop railway station is still open and has replaced a section of the original Manchester and Southport Railway. This northern part was electrified in 1904 and then de-electrified sixty years later.
- Cotterall, J.E., (1982), The West Lancashire Railway, The Oakwood Press, ISBN 0-85361-288-9
- Nock, O.S. (1969), The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway - A Concise History, Ian Allan, ISBN 0-7110-0130-8