From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 18 – Pittsburg, Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad files articles of consolidation in Pennsylvania as the result of a merger organized the previous month.
- January 19 – Pittsburg, Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad files articles of consolidation in Ohio as the company did in Pennsylvania the day before.
- January 19 – The Glasgow Subway reopens after cleanup from an accident that occurred on the system's opening day the previous December.
- January 22 – The McCloud River Railroad near Mount Shasta, California, is chartered.
- February 12 – The Citizens Traction Company, a predecessor of the San Diego Electric Railway in California, enters receivership.
- December 27 – The first train is operated on the Randsburg Railway between Kramer and Johannesburg, California.
- The Schneebergbahn, a rack railway connecting Puchberg in Lower Austria up to a pleateau beneath the Schneeberg, opens.
- The GNR Class J13 designed by Henry Ivatt are introduced based on the earlier domeless GNR Class J14.
- The Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway becomes part of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.