From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 1 – The Boston and Lowell Railroad, in New England, leases the lines that form the Passumpsic Division.
- January 6 – The narrow gauge Mason and Oceana Railroad opens between Buttersville and Crystal Valley, Michigan.
- March 7 – The Kansas City, Fort Smith and Southern Railway, a predecessor of the Kansas City Southern Railway, is incorporated in Missouri.
- November 3 – Locaalspoorwegmaatschappij Hollands Noorderkwartier, the predecessor of Steamtrain Hoorn Medemblik, opens.
- Tasmanian Government Railways extends the Derwent Valley Line, predecessor of the Derwent Valley Railway, 29 kilometers to Plenty.
- The Chattanooga and Lookout Mountain Railway is chartered in Tennessee.
- Fleischmann is founded in Nuremburg.
- Railroad History Timeline - 1880's. RRHX: Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum. Retrieved on 2008-01-05.
- Evolution of the Kansas City Southern Railway Company. Kansas City Southern Historical Society (2002). Retrieved on 2008-03-07.