From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 26 – The Philadelphia Traction Company in Pennsylvania opens a cable railway on Columbia Avenue and Master Street.
- January 29 – La Fayette Wilson Page is awarded U.S. Patent 292504 for an "Animal chaser"; a device that allows an engineer to spray water from a steam locomotive's boiler through a nozzle mounted on the front of the locomotive to clear livestock from the track.
- March 6 – The Jacksonville, Tampa and Key West Railroad begins regular operations between Jacksonville and Palatka, Florida.
- The Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway is formed.
- Philadelphia History: Early Railroad Transportation. USHistory.org. Independence Hall Association (2008). Retrieved on 2008-01-26.
- This month in railroad history - January. Rivanna Chapter, National Railway Historical Society (2006-01-15). Retrieved on 2008-01-28.
- Cravey, Beth Reese. Railroads and Brahmas were part of early Clay history. My Clay Sun. Retrieved on 2008-02-29.