From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- 1830 – Baltimore and Ohio Railroad opens its first 1.5 mile section in Maryland.
- 1872 – The Northern Central Michigan Railroad opens its line between Jonesville and Albion, Michigan.
- 1905 – The Anglo Newfoundland Development Company, the company that built the narrow gauge Botwood Railway in Newfoundland, is formed.
- 1935 – A project to dismantle the electrification on the Shildon to Newport line in England begins.
- 1955 – Southern Pacific Railroad diesilizes the Coast Daylight passenger train service in California.
- 1963 – Passenger service is discontinued on the Palace Gates Line in London.
- 1969 – Canadian National Railway discontinues Turbotrain service between Montreal and Toronto.
- 1970 – Service on the northern section (via the Raton Pass) of the Grand Canyon Limited is discontinued; service is shunted to the San Francisco Chief.
- 1985 – The Northern tunnel on the City Loop, Melbourne, Australia, is opened.
- 1995 – The New Brunswick Southern Railway begins operations between McAdam and Saint John, New Brunswick.
- 1995 – Wisconsin Central Railroad takes over operations of the Algoma Central Railroad in Ontario.
- 2002 – Amtrak train number 351 between Kalamazoo, Michigan, and Porter, Indiana, and eventually on to Chicago, becomes the first Amtrak train to regularly travel at 90 mph in regular service.
- 2004 – The Hythe Pier, Railway and Ferry is reopened after reconstruction from an accident where a dredger hit the pier in 2003.
- 2007 – A Washington Metro Green Line train derails as it traverses a switch at about 18 mph; 23 of the approximately 80 passengers on the derailed car are treated for injuries at local hospitals.
- 2007 – The Swedish national rail company SJ AB reinstates daily traffic on the Kongsvingerbanen route connecting Lillestrøm and Kongsvinger in Norway and onwards to Charlottenberg in Sweden.
- Railroad History Timeline - 1870's. RRHX: Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- Significant dates in Canadian railway history. Colin Churcher's Railway Pages (2007-12-02). Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- Railroad History Timeline - 2000's. RRHX: Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- Railroad Accident Report: Derailment of Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Train near the Mt. Vernon Square Station Washington, D.C., January 7, 2007. United States National Transportation Safety Board (2007-10-16). Retrieved on 2008-01-05.