From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 7 - The New Brunswick Southern Railway begins operations between McAdam and Saint John, New Brunswick.
- January 7 - Wisconsin Central Railroad takes over operations of the Algoma Central Railroad in Ontario.
- February 1 - Amtrak discontinues the Palmetto passenger train service between New York City and Tampa, Florida.
- December 28 - Union Pacific Railroad operates its 50,000th coal train out of Wyoming's Powder River Basin.
- TasRail completely closes the Derwent Valley Line, predecessor of the Derwent Valley Railway, beyond New Norfolk after floods and heavy rain substantially damaged the track.