From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 7 – Service on the northern section (via the Raton Pass) of the Grand Canyon Limited is discontinued; service is shunted to the San Francisco Chief.
- January 8 – Santa Fe Railroad operates the last run of the Grand Canyon Limited passenger train.
- February 13 – The Interstate Commerce Commission approves the discontinuation of the California Zephyr.
- March 2 – The Great Northern Railway, Northern Pacific Railway, Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad and Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railway are merged to form Burlington Northern Railroad.
- reopening (opening) of the Heber Valley Historic Railroad
- Fujii, John (2008-08-26). A Brief Introduction To The Northern Pacific Railway. Northern Pacific Railway Historical Association. Retrieved on 2008-02-27.