From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 1 - USG Corporation is formed as a holding company owning US Gypsum Company, the operator of the last narrow gauge industrial railway in the United States.
- January 5 - Ceremonies are held in Nenana and Seward, Alaska to mark the official transfer of the Alaska Railroad ownership to the state of Alaska.
- January 6 - Amtrak discontinues the Gulf Coast Limited passenger train service between New Orleans, Louisiana, and Mobile, Alabama.
- January 7 - The Northern tunnel on the City Loop, Melbourne, Australia is opened.
- January 9 - The Kitakyushu monorail in Japan opens between the present Heiwadori and Kikugaoka stations.
- The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Association purchases the Woody Bay railway station.