From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- 1831 – The South Carolina Canal and Rail Road operates its first revenue passenger train; among the passengers were newlyweds Mr. and Mrs. Pierson of Charleston taking the first ever honeymoon trip by rail.
- 1881 – The Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago Railway of New York files association papers in New York while the Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago Railway of Pennsylvania files association papers in Pennsylvania.
- 1897 – Union Depot in Jacksonville, Florida, opens.
- 1953 – Pennsylvania Railroad's Federal Express is unable to stop due to an incorrectly set brake valve and crashes into Union Station in Washington, D.C..
- 1981 – The Ludington and Northern Railroad in Michigan ceases operations.
- Today in History: January 15, 2008. Death by 1000 Papercuts. Retrieved on 2008-01-15.
- (1902-12-31) “1880s”, Annual Report of the Commissioner of Railroads and Telegraphs - Part II: History of the Railroads of Ohio. Retrieved on 2008-01-15.
- Cowart, John W. (2005). Jacksonville's Railroad History. Retrieved on 2008-01-15.
- Railroad History Timeline - 1980's. RRHX: Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum. Retrieved on 2008-01-15.