Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago Railway
|Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago Railway|
|Locale||New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8½ in (1435 mm) (standard gauge)|
The Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago Railway (BC&C) was incorporated, originally as two separate companies, in the states of New York and Pennsylvania in October 1880 by the New York bankers Clark, Post, and Martin. The Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago Railway of New York filed association papers with the Secretary of State of New York while the Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago Railway of Pennsylvania filed association papers with the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, both on January 15, 1881.
The railroad was to be parallel to William Vanderbilt's Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway from the east side of Cleveland to Buffalo, a distance of 185-miles (298 km). The route was surveyed during January and February 1881. In March 1881 the BC&C was acquired by the Seney Syndicate for the mainline for its new railroad, the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad.
- Rehor, John A. (1994). The Nickel Plate story. Waukesha, WI: Kalmbach Publishing Co.. ISBN 0-89024-012-4.