From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- February 8 – The Kansas Midland Railway, a predecessor of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway, is incorporated in Kansas.
- February 18 – The Kansas City, Memphis and Birmingham Railroad is incorporated in Mississippi.
- February 26 – The town of Ellensburg, Washington, sees its first passenger train arrive on Northern Pacific Railroad from Yakima.
- Tasmanian Government Railways opens the Derwent Valley Line, the predecessor of the Derwent Valley Railway.
- Corporate History: St. Louis - San Francisco Railway Company. Truman Area Community Network (2005-12-20). Retrieved on 2008-02-07.
- Corporate History Kansas City, Fort Scott & Memphis Railroad Company. Truman Area Community Network (2005-12-20). Retrieved on 2008-02-14.
- Becker, Paula (2003-01-28). First Northern Pacific Railroad passenger train reaches Ellensburg on February 26, 1886.. HistoryLink. Retrieved on 2008-02-25.