From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- February 16 – The Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad is reorganized and reincorporated as the Cincinnati, Baltimore and Washington Railway is incorporated in Ohio.
- February 24 – The Long Island City and Manhattan Beach Railroad is incorporated to build a connection between the New York and Manhattan Beach Railroad and the Long Island Rail Road.
- February 26 – The Jackson Coal Railroad, a predecessor of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway, is chartered in Pennsylvania.
- March 6 – The Spring Grove, Avondale and Cincinnati Railway and the Cincinnati Northern Railway, both in Ohio, merge to form the Toledo, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railroad.
- December 20 – The International Bridge at Niagra Falls opens.
- December 27 – Cyrus S. Eaton, president of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway in the 1950s, is born (d. 1979).
- ↑ Morris, J. C. (1902-12-31). “1860s”, Annual Report of the Commissioner of Railroads and Telegraphs - Part II: History of the Railroads of Ohio. Retrieved on 2008-02-13.
- ↑ Long Island Rail Road History. Arrt's Arrchives. Retrieved on 2008-02-22.
- ↑ New York Central Railroad System (1913). “History of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company”, Annual Report. Retrieved on 2008-02-25.
- ↑ Morris, J. C. (1902-12-31). “1840's”, Annual Report of the Commissioner of Railroads and Telegraphs. Retrieved on 2008-02-29.
- ↑ This Month in Railroad History: December. Rivanna Chapter, National Railway Historical Society (2006). Retrieved on 2007-12-20.