Great Laxey Mine Railway
|Great Laxey Mine Railway|
|Locale||Isle of Man|
|Dates of operation||1870s – Present|
|Track gauge||1 ft 7 in|
The Great Laxey Mine Railway was originally constructed to serve the Isle of Man's Great Laxey Mine, a lead mine located in Laxey. The 19 in gauge railway runs from the old mine entrance to the washing floors along a right of way that passes through the Isle of Man's longest and only railway tunnel under the 3 ft (914 mm) gauge Victorian Manx Electric Railway and the main A2 Douglas to Ramsey coast road.
Abandoned in 1929 when the mine closed, the 1⁄4 mile Great Laxey Mine Railway re-opened in September 2004. Now the Ant and Bee, replicas of steam locomotives with the same names originally built in 1877, carry passengers along a restored route once traversed by cars loaded with lead ore pulled by ponies.