From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- 1870 – The Hunters Point and South Side Railroad, a predecessor of the Long Island Rail Road, is incorporated.
- 1876 – Los Angeles mayor P. Beaudry approves a franchise extension to the Spring and Sixth Street Railroad for one year to allow time for the line's completion.
- 1885 – Long Island Rail Road begins piggyback freight service carrying farm wagons loaded with potatoes from farms on Long Island to New York City.
- 1920 – A streetcar in Seattle, Washington, derails and rolls over, killing one person and injuring 70 others.
- 1941 – Locaalspoorwegmaatschappij Hollands Noorderkwartier, predecessor of Steamtrain Hoorn Medemblik, permanently closes passenger operations.
- 1956 – New York Central Railroad begins test runs of General Motors Electro-Motive Division's Aerotrain between Chicago and Detroit.
- 1960 – The last train on the Swansea and Mumbles Railway in Wales leaves Swansea for Mumbles at 11:52 AM.
- 1985 – Ceremonies are held in Nenana and Seward, Alaska to mark the official transfer of the Alaska Railroad ownership to the state of Alaska.
- 2001 – A TGV Atlantique from Brest to Paris hits a mudslide at 120 km/h near Laval; only the power car is derailed because the driver was able to apply the emergency brakes when he saw the mudslide about 300 meters ahead of the train.
- 2006 – A northbound Virginia Railway Express train on CSX tracks derails near Quantico, Virginia, as a result of a worn and chipped switch point rail.
- 2007 – Trial runs of the new Taiwan High Speed Rail service between Banciao (Taipei) and Zuoying (Kaohsiung), open to the public and with half-price fares, begin to operate 19 times daily in each direction starting..
- Long Island Rail Road History. Arrt's Arrchives (2007). Retrieved on 2008-01-05.
- Lewis, B. L. (1921-05-05). The Street Railway History of Los Angeles. Electric Railway Historical Association of Southern California. Retrieved on 2008-01-05.
- Those Were The Days: Today in History, January 5. 440 International (2008). Retrieved on 2008-01-05.
- January 3-9, 2008: This Week Then. HistoryLink (2007). Retrieved on 2008-01-05.
- Railroad History Timeline - 1950's. RRHX: Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum. Retrieved on 2008-01-05.
- The Alaska Railroad - History. Alaska Railroad (2006). Retrieved on 2008-01-05.
- Railroad Accident Brief: Derailment of Virginia Railway Express train near Quantico, Virginia January 5, 2006. United States National Transportation Safety Board (2006-11-20). Retrieved on 2008-01-05.
- Taiwan's high-speed rail system to start trial services next week. Retrieved on 2006-12-28.