From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 4 – The Strasburg Rail Road in Pennsylvania begins passenger train operations as a heritage railway.
- January 6 – Canadian National Railway receives official authorization to discontinue passenger train service on its line between Hawkesbury and Glen Robertson, Ontario.
- January 14 – Santa Fe Railroad locomotive #20C, leading San Diegan train number 75, collides with a gravel truck at a grade crossing in Irvine, California.
- December 24 – Beeliner passenger train service is discontinued between Jackson and Bay City, Michigan.
- British Rail 0-6-0ST number 8846 becomes the first BR locomotive to be privately preserved when it is purchased by Bill Smith.