From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 9 – British Rail Class 42 locomotive D859 Vanquisher enters service.
- January 27 – DC Transit ends streetcar service in Washington, D.C.
- January 28 – The last Washington, D.C., streetcar completes its run at Navy Yard.
- The Tokyo Metro Tōzai Line is planned by a Ministry of Transportation review committee and named Line 5.
- Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company completes construction of the experimental locomotive D0260 for British Rail.