Coventry to Nuneaton Line
|(from north to south)
All passenger services on the line are operated by Central Trains who run an hourly service in each direction.
|Nuneaton Abbey Street
|Longford & Exhall
Disaster struck on 26 January 1857 when 23 of the 28 arches of the Spon End viaduct collapsed. This meant trains travelling south terminated at Coundon Road railway station while the viaduct was rebuilt. This took 3½ years to complete and services to Coventry were restored on 1 October 1860.
The line was closed to passenger traffic on 18 January 1965 under the Beeching Axe. The line was re-opened under the Speller Act on 11 May 1987 although Abbey Street has now been permanently closed and replaced with Trent Valley. Initially there were no intermediate stations on the re-opened line until 16 May 1988 when the rebuilt Bedworth station was opened.
The line runs near to the Ricoh Arena football stadium on the northern edge of Coventry. While there have been several proposals to build a new station to serve the stadium, this has not yet happened.