Bicton Woodland Railway
|Bicton Woodland Railway|
|Dates of operation||1963 – Present|
|Track gauge||1 ft 6 in (457 mm)|
The line was built in 1962 as a tourist attraction for visitors to the house. Most of the rolling stock was acquired from the Royal Arsenal 18 inch Railway, Woolwich, with two locomotives, Woolwich and Carnegie coming from that source, as well as seven goods wagons which were reduced to their frames and converted to passenger carriages. It opened to passengers in 1963. Originally locomotives and carriages had royal blue livery.
In 1998 the Bicton Gardens were put up for sale and the railway put into hiatus. The new owners announced in late 1999 that they would sell the line's existing stock and re-equip with steam outline diesel locomotives supplied by Alan Keef. The line's original equipment was purchased by the Waltham Abbey Royal Gunpowder Mills museum at Waltham Abbey.
|1||Woolwich||Avonside Engine Company||0-4-0T||1916||1748||ex-Royal Arsenal 18 inch Railway. Now at the Waltham Abbey Royal Gunpowder Mills|
|2||Bicton||Ruston and Hornsby||4wDM||1942||213839||Built for the War Department storage depot at Lion Brickworks, Scalford|
|3||Carnegie||Hunslet||0-4-4-0DM||1954||4524||ex-Royal Arsenal 18 inch Railway. Now at the Waltham Abbey Royal Gunpowder Mills|
- Thomas, Cliff (2002). The Narrow Gauge in Britain & Ireland. Atlantic Publishers. ISBN 1-902827-05-8.