Pioneer circa 1898
|Builder||Baldwin Locomotive Works|
|Career||Utica and Schenectady Railroad (U&S),
Michigan Central Railroad (MC),
Galena and Chicago Union Railroad (G&CU),
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (CB&Q)
|Official name||Alert (U&S),
|Disposition||locomotive on static display at the Chicago History Museum, tender stored in Villa Park, Illinois|
Pioneer is the name of the first railroad locomotive to operate in Chicago, Illinois. It was built in 1837 by Baldwin Locomotive Works for the Utica and Schenectady Railroad (U&S) in New York, then purchased used by William B. Ogden for the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad (G&CU, the oldest predecessor of Chicago and North Western Railway) and pulled the first train westbound out of Chicago on October 25, 1848.
When the locomotive was built in 1837, the Utica and Schenectady Railroad gave it the name Alert. It worked on the U&S for nine years before it was sold to the Michigan Central Railroad. Michigan Central added a cab and tender to the locomotive and used it for two years before selling it again in 1848 to the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad. The G&CU renamed the locomotive Pioneer and used it in the construction of the G&CU until 1850, at which time the locomotive was loaned to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad for work in and around Chicago.
- Chicago Historical Society, History Lab Collections - Riding the Rails. Retrieved October 25, 2005.
- Rivanna Chapter, National Railway Historical Society (2005), This Month in Railroad History - October. Retrieved October 25, 2005.
- SteamLocomotive.com (November 1, 2004), Chicago Area Steam. Retrieved October 25, 2005.