Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad
|Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad|
|Dates of operation||1835 – 1892|
|Track gauge||4 ft 10 in (1,473 mm) (Ohio gauge)|
The railroad first broke ground in Sandusky, for construction on September 17, 1835 at the site which is currently Battery Park Marina. On December 2, 1837, the MR&LE took delivery of its first steam locomotive, Sandusky, built by Rogers, Ketchum and Grosvenor of Paterson, New Jersey. Sandusky was also the first locomotive built by Rogers and the first to include features such as cast iron driving wheels and counterweights. The locomotive's transportation from New Jersey was overseen by Thomas Hogg, the railroad's chief mechanical engineer.
Construction continued on the MR&LE, reaching Tiffin by 1841 and Kenton in 1846. The railroad was completed to Springfield in 1849. Over the next several decades, the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad changed ownership at least four times. In 1892, it came under the control of the Big Four Railroad (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad), which itself became part of the New York Central Railroad. Most of the original MR&LE lines were abandoned by Penn Central at the advent of Conrail in 1976, if not earlier. However, a portion between Bellefontaine and Springfield continues in operation by RailAmerica's Indiana and Ohio Central Railroad.
Most of the MR&LE lines that once ran through Downtown Sandusky have been removed, but structures created for the railroad can still be seen today. The break wall directly southeast of the Battery Park Marina and the Sandusky Police Station is one of these structures. It once supported tracks, although the bridge connecting the end of the break wall to the main land has been removed to allow larger boats to pass through to several apartments with boat garages. In addition, tracks serving the Norfolk Southern coal docks located west of downtown still use a small portion of the original MR&LE right-of-way.
- '''Mad River and NKP Railroad''' Society, The Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad. Retrieved October 14, 2005.