GWR Hercules Class
|Builder||Naysmyth, Gaskell & Co.|
|Gauge||7 ft 0¼ in (2140 mm)|
|Driver size||5 ft 0 in|
|Wheelbase||12 ft 6 in|
|Cylinder size||15 in dia × 18 in stroke|
|Career||Great Western Railway|
The Hercules Class were four broad gauge steam locomotives for the Great Western Railway. They were the first 0-6-0 locomotives, being built in 1842 by Naysmyth, Gaskell and Company. They were all withdrawn in 1870 and 1871.
From about 1865, the Hercules Class locomotives became part of the Fury Class, along with the Premier Class locomotives.
- Goliah (1842 - 1871)
- This locomotives was named after the Biblical giant, Goliah.
- Hercules (1842 - 1870)
- This locomotive was named after the Greek mythological strongman, Hercules.
- Sampson (1842 - 1870)
- This locomotive was named after the Biblical strongman, Sampson.
- Tityos (1842 - 1870)
- This locomotive was named after Tityos, a giant in Greek mythology.
- The Locomotives of the Great Western Railway, Part 2: Broad Gauge. The Railway Correspondence and Travel Society. ISBN 0-906867-90-8.
- Waters, Laurence (1999). The Great Western Broad Gauge. Hersham: Ian Allan Publishing. ISBN 0-906867-90-8.
|Locomotives of the Great Western Railway|
|Broad gauge locomotives|
|Brunel:||Haigh Foundry - Mather, Dixon - Sharp, Roberts - Charles Tayleur - Hurricane - Thunderer|
|Gooch:||Ariadne - Banking - Bogie - Caesar - Firefly - Hercules - Iron Duke - Leo - Metropolitan - Premier - Prince - Pyracmon - Star - Sun - Victoria - Waverley|
|J. Armstrong:||Hawthorn - Rover - Sir Watkin - Standard Goods - Swindon - 1076 Class|
|Dean:||3001 Class - 3501 Class - 3541 Class - Experimental locomotives|
|Standard gauge locomotives|
|Dean:||Dean Goods - Aberdare - Dean Single - Duke - Bulldog - 3600 - Badminton|
|Churchward:||The Great Bear - 1361 - County Tank - 2800 - Saint - 3100 - City - County - Star - 4200 - 4300 - 4400 - 4500 - 4700|
|Collett:||1366 - 1400 - 2251 - 2884 - ex-ROD 2-8-0 - Earl - Castle - 4575 - Hall - 5101 - 5205 - 5400 - 5600 - 5700 - 5800 - King - 6100 - 6400 - Grange - 7200 - 7400 - Manor|
|Hawksworth:||County - 1500 - 1600 - Modified Hall - 9400|