GWR Caesar Class
|Builder||Great Western Railway|
|Gauge||7 ft 0¼ in|
|Driver size||4 ft 9 in|
|Wheelbase||15 ft 5 in|
|Cylinder size||17 in dia × 24 in stroke|
|Career||Great Western Railway|
The Great Western Railway Caesar Class 0-6-0 broad gauge steam locomotives. They were designed by Daniel Gooch for goods train work. This class was introduced into service between June 1851 and February 1852, and withdrawn between June 1871 and June 1880.
The names of the locomotives were generally taken from classical sources.
- Caesar (1851 - 1880)
- Caesar was the title used to denote a Roman emperor.
- Dido (1851 - 1872)
- Florence (1851 - 1874)
- The name Florence was probably picked to represent the Florence, an Italian city.
- Hero (1851 - 1871)
- The name Hero continued the classical theme, see Hero.
- Nora Creina (1851 - 1872)
- Thunderer (1851 - 1874)
- This was the second time that the Great Western railway had chosen to name a locomotive Thunderer, the first locomotive being one of Brunel's Freaks. See Thunder for the derivation of the name, which was probably chosen to conveyed a feeling of power.
- Volcano (1851 - 1874)
- This locomotive was given a name that expressed great power, volcano being an erupting mountain.
- The Locomotives of the Great Western Railway, Part 2: Broad Gauge. The Railway Correspondence and Travel Society. ISBN 0-906867-90-8.
- Waters, Laurence (1999). The Great Western Broad Gauge. Hersham: Ian Allan Publishing. ISBN 0-906867-90-8.
|Locomotives of the Great Western Railway|
|Broad gauge locomotives|
|Brunel:||Haigh Foundry - Mather, Dixon - Sharp, Roberts - Charles Tayleur - Hurricane - Thunderer|
|Gooch:||Ariadne - Banking - Bogie - Caesar - Firefly - Hercules - Iron Duke - Leo - Metropolitan - Premier - Prince - Pyracmon - Star - Sun - Victoria - Waverley|
|J. Armstrong:||Hawthorn - Rover - Sir Watkin - Standard Goods - Swindon - 1076 Class|
|Dean:||3001 Class - 3501 Class - 3541 Class - Experimental locomotives|
|Standard gauge locomotives|
|Dean:||Dean Goods - Aberdare - Dean Single - Duke - Bulldog - 3600 - Badminton|
|Churchward:||The Great Bear - 1361 - County Tank - 2800 - Saint - 3100 - City - County - Star - 4200 - 4300 - 4400 - 4500 - 4700|
|Collett:||1366 - 1400 - 2251 - 2884 - ex-ROD 2-8-0 - Earl - Castle - 4575 - Hall - 5101 - 5205 - 5400 - 5600 - 5700 - 5800 - King - 6100 - 6400 - Grange - 7200 - 7400 - Manor|
|Hawksworth:||County - 1500 - 1600 - Modified Hall - 9400|