From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- 1827 – The South Carolina Canal and Rail Road is chartered.
- 1881 – The Detroit, Mackinac and Marquette Railroad completes construction from Marquette to St. Ignace.
- 1882 – Building from Denver, Colorado, the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad tracks reach the Utah border where the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad picks up construction in Utah.
- 1898 – The Colorado and Southern Railroad is incorporated.
- 1911 – The California Western Railroad completes construction.
- 1941 – Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's Columbian passenger train route is extended from Jersey City-Washington to Jersey City-Chicago.
- 1977 – The Milwaukee Road files for bankruptcy.
- 2003 – The H-Bahn system at Dortmund University is extended 1.2 km to the neighboring technology park.
- 1806 – Benjamin Henry Latrobe, II, designer of Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's Thomas Viaduct (still in use today), is born (d. 1878).