From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- Ferrovie dello Stato introduces ETR 500 trains in high-speed service.
- The Clinton Administration in the United States proposes a High Speed Rail Development Act to study the issues involved and provide seed money.
- Indian Railways introduces the Chennai Rajdhani Express service between Chennai and New Delhi.
- The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Company is formed to operate a restored Lynton and Barnstaple Railway.
- The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum is founded.
- The H-Bahn system at Dortmund University opens a 900 m extension.