Georgia Midland and Gulf Railroad

From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
Jump to: navigation, search

The Georgia Midland and Gulf Railroad was chartered in 1885 and began operations in 1887, running from Columbus, GA to McDonough, GA. In 1890, the line leased the Columbus Southern Railway but was forced to cancel the lease a year later due to financial problems. The GM&G finally entered bankruptcy in 1895 and was sold to the Georgia Midland Railway in 1896. It ran from McDonough in the north through several communities in Henry County, GA such as Greenwood and Luella into northern Spalding County, GA passing through Experiment, GA and crossing the Central of Georgia Railroad in Griffin, GA and on south toward Williamson, GA in Pike County crossing the old G&F line and on into Concord, GA then on into Meriwether County, GA where it passed through Woodbury, GA and then on south toward and through Warm Springs, GA and then further south into Columbus, GA. Portions of this line still exist mostly from McDonough to Greenwood (Liberty), and from the northern Spalding County line near the old Towaliga Station toward Experiment. This section is currently being refurbished by the Roosevelt Railroad. Then from Griffin south to GA State Road 362. Most all the other stretches have been pulled up. This is the line that Franklin D. Roosevelt took on his trips through Georgia on his trips to Warm Springs, GA When it was under control of the Southern Railway

Personal tools
<
September 2017
>
MTWTFSS
123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930
Events Upcoming
More »