From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere

By month


  • January 2 - Genesee & Wyoming announces that it has completed the acquisition of an 87.4% stake in Maryland Midland Railway. The transaction is reported to be valued at $29.1 million; Lehigh Cement, the largest customer on Maryland Midland's line, holds the remaining 12.6% stake.[1][2]



  • March 16 - John Shedd Reed, president of Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway from 1967 to 1986, dies. He was honored by Modern Railways magazine as the Man of the Year for 1970; he was one of the Santa Fe executives in 1976 that told Amtrak it couldn't use the Chief or Super Chief names for its passenger trains saying it "wasn't super any more." Reed was the grandson of John G. Shedd, second president of Marshall Field and founder of Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. Reed served as president of the aquarium from 1984 to 1994.[3][4]
  • The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway will open the next phase of it's line to Idridgehay, and passenger train will once again travel on a line that hasn't seen commercial traffic since 1989, when the Stone Workings stopped, or 1964 when the passenger workings stopped...

Unknown date


  1. "GWR: Completes Acquisition of 87.4% of Maryland Midland Railway", TradingMarkets.com, 2008-01-02. Retrieved on 2008-01-02.
  2. Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (2008-01-02). Genesee & Wyoming Completes Acquisition of Maryland Midland Railway. Press release. Retrieved on 2008-01-02.
  3. Associated Press. "John Shedd Reed, rail executive", San Jose Mercury News, 2008-03-17. Retrieved on 2008-03-17.
  4. Shah, Tina. "John Shedd Reed, 1917 - 2008", Chicago Tribune, 2008-03-17. Retrieved on 2008-03-17.
  5. The CityCargo scheme was piloted successfuly in March 2007, with the announcement of the rollout made in June 2007