From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 1 – Locaalspoorwegmaatschappij Hollands Noorderkwartier, the predecessor of Steamtrain Hoorn Medemblik, ceases operations.
- March 1 – Nearly 4,000 people are moved to higher ground via the Johnstown Inclined Plane in Pennsylvania to escape massive flooding in the area.
- May 12 – Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway inaugurates the Super Chief passenger train service between Chicago and Los Angeles.
- Lima Locomotive Works builds the six locomotives that make up Southern Pacific Railroad's GS-2 class.
- Tasmanian Government Railways extends the Derwent Valley Line, predecessor of the Derwent Valley Railway, 74 kilometres to Kallista.