From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 24 – – The Utah Railway is incorporated in Utah as the Utah Coal Railway Company.
- January 26 – Pere Marquette Railroad and Detroit, Toledo and Ironton Railroad reach an agreement that will allow Pere Marquette to install a second track at Carlton interlocking in Michigan; Pere Marquette agrees to cover the costs of moving the adjacent station.
- February 7 – The Cairo, Truman and Southern Railroad, a predecessor of St. Louis Southwestern Railroad (also known as The Cotton Belt), is incorporated.
- February 21 – The tunneling crew of Jungfraubahn in Switzerland finally breaks through the glacier in Jungfraujoch.
- October 18 – Pennsylvania Railroad's Federal Express and Colonial Express passenger trains begin using the new Pennsylvania Tunnel and Terminal Railroad into New York Penn Station.
- Hamaker, C.A.. Utah Railroad History. Carbon County UTGenWeb. Retrieved on 2008-01-23.
- Railroad History Timeline - 1910's. RRHX: Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum. Retrieved on 2008-01-26.
- Beck, Wayne (1957). "The History of Cotton Belt Railroad". Cotton Belt News. Retrieved on 2008-02-07.