Rio Grande Southern Railroad
The Denver & Rio Grande Railroad (D&RG) had built branch lines to the mining towns of Silverton and Ouray, but the San Juan Mountains between Ouray and Silverton were too formidable to allow the building of a railroad directly connecting the two towns. The Silverton Railroad, built north from Silverton, had reached within 8 miles (13 km) of Ouray, but the remaining stretch through the Uncompahgre Gorge was considered too difficult. A cog railway was briefly considered but was never built.
The RGS was founded in 1889 by Otto Mears, and construction began in 1890 from Ridgway (north of Ouray) and Durango (south of Silverton) to go around the most rugged part of the San Juan Mountains and also reach the mining towns of Rico and Telluride.
The route passed over Dallas Divide west of Ridgway and over Lizard Head Pass north of Rico. The most famous structure on the route was the Ophir Loop near Ophir. At this point the railroad was built up a narrow mountain valley and looped back up the other side to gain elevation over several tall trestles.
The most famous aspect of the RGS was its fleet of Galloping Geese. During the Great Depression it became increasingly expensive to operate trains over the mountain railroad. The RGS came up with a concept to build a rail car out of a car or bus body front end and a box car rear end. Seven Geese were built, all but one of which survive to this day.
|#1||1931||Buick||Replica at the Ridgway Railway Museum|
|#2||1931||Buick||Colorado Railroad Museum|
|#3||1932||Pierce-Arrow||Knotts Berry Farm|
|#4||1932||Pierce-Arrow||On Display off Main Street in Telluride, Colorado|
|#6||1934||Pierce-Arrow||Colorado Railroad Museum|
|#7||1936||Buick||Colorado Railroad Museum|
has media related to:
Railways in Colorado