Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway Preservation Society
The Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Preservation Society was set up in 1960 by a group of railway enthusiasts with the aim of preserving the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, which had been put up for sale at auction by its owners, the Keswick Granite Company. The Society provides the volunteer workforce for the "Ratty" and members have free unlimited travel on the railway on normal days (special fares may apply at events).
Society & its Sub-Groups' Assets
- River Mite, 2-8-2 tender engine, built by Clarksons' of York in 1966.
- Douglas Ferreira, B-B diesel hydraulic loco, built by TMA Engineering of Birmingham in 2005.
- Cyril, 4w diesel mechanical loco, built by R.A. Lister of Dursley in 1932. (Murthwaite Locomotive Group)
- Les, 4w diesel mechanical loco, built by R.A. Lister of Dursley in 1960. (Anonymous Society Member)
- Siân, 2-4-2 tender engine, built by Trevor Guest Engineering of Stourbridge in 1963. (Siân Project Group)
- Katie, 0-4-0 tank engine, built by Sir A.P. Heywood of Duffield Bank in 1896. (R&ER Heritage Group)
- 287, 20 seater bogie open coach, rebuilt by the R&ER in 2002.
- U, bogie emergency & utilities van, built by Ian Page Engineering in 1990. (Murthwaite Locomotive Group)
Officers of the Society
- Mr Sam Dixon, Council Chairman
- Mr Mungo Stacy, Hon. Secretary
- Mr Ian Leigh, Hon. Financial Secretary
- Mr Phil Taylor, Hon. Membership Secretary
- Mr Stuart Harrison, Nominated Company Director