Nancy Hanks (passenger train)

From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
Jump to: navigation, search
"Drumhead" logos such as this often adorned the ends of observation cars on the Nancy Hanks II.

The Nancy Hanks was a popular Central of Georgia Railway passenger train in Georgia running between Atlanta and Savannah. It was named after a race horse who was named for Abraham Lincoln's mother. The name is even older than the mid-20th century train derived from that of a short-lived but famous steam special, the Nancy Hanks. The earlier Nancy operated in 1892 and 1893.

Nancy Hanks II made her first trip on July 17, 1947. The new train's cars were painted blue and grey and, like the first Nancy, each bore a likeness of the famed trotter on the side.[1]

"The Nancy," as it was affectionately known in South Georgia, was an all-coach, reserved-seat train with grill lounge service. It left Savannah daily at 7 a.m. for the six-hour run via Macon to Atlanta and returned from Atlanta Terminal Station at 6 p.m.

In the 1960's the Central leased a dome car from the Norfolk and Western-Wabash line, where it had operated for a number of years; the car was thoroughly renovated for service on the Nancy Hanks II. The car was 85 feet long, of steel construction, and was originally built by Pullman-Standard. It had a dark blue exterior and interior upholstery in royal blue and gray.[2]

April 30, 1971 saw the last run of the Nancy Hanks II.


Personal tools
<
September 2017
>
MTWTFSS
123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930
Events Upcoming
More »