From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- 1826 – The Granite Railway is incorporated in Massachusetts.
- 1859 – The Wimbledon and Dorking Railway opens.
- 1867 – Henry Kirke Porter, in a business partnership with John Y. Smith, receives his first order for a new steam locomotive.
- 1871 – The Central Rail Road of Long Island (a predecessor of the Long Island Rail Road) is incorporated.
- 1878 – The Scarborough Queen's Parade Tramway Company Limited is created, linking Queen's Parade, on the top of the North Cliff to the Promenade Pier.
- 1888 – The Brockville, Westport and Sault Ste. Marie Railway opens, connecting Lyn Junction to Westport, Ontario, Canada.
- 1947 – San Francisco, California, resident Friedel Klussman organizes the Citizen's Committee to Save the Cable Cars to preserve the San Francisco Cable Car System.
- 1967 – The last Pines Express passenger train is operated between Manchester and Bournemouth, England.
- 1996 – A Wisconsin Central freight train derails on a broken switch in Weyauwega, Wisconsin; the derailment forces the evacuation of the entire town until March 20 while fire crews work to control the resulting blaze.
- 2002 – SNCF uses the Lyria name on a TGV service for the first time for trains traveling between France and Switzerland.