List of films about trains
From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
This is a list of films about trains, or at the very least, featuring a train as a major part of the plot. (It is not intended to list all films that happen to have a train in them!)
Films about trains
- Chattanooga Choo Choo
- Closely Observed Trains
- The First Great Train Robbery
- The General, a well-known silent comedy starring Buster Keaton based largely around trains, set in the period *of the American Civil War
- The Ghost Train
- The Great Train Robbery - Robbery, The Great British Train Robbery and Buster
- Money Train
- Illusive Tracks
- Murder on the Orient Express
- The Railway Children filmed on the Bluebell Railway
- Night Train
- Oh, Mr Porter!
- Planes, Trains and Automobiles
- Polar Express
- Runaway Train
- Strangers on a Train
- The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
- The 39 Steps (1935), The 39 Steps (1959)
- Throw Momma From the Train
- The Titfield Thunderbolt' (1952 - Colour)
- Genre: Ealing Comedy
- Plot: An English village (Titfield) finds its branch line is to be closed. A group of local enthusiasts and villagers, led by the vicar, set about taking over the railway and running it by themselves.
- Trains featured: Lion, GWR Class 14xx tank locos, GW Toad + well wagon
- Branch line was between Camerton and Limpley SToke, in the Cam Valley, near Bath, England.
- Titfield station was in reality Monkton Combe station
- Titfield village was nearby Freshford
- other scenes shot at the disused Dunkerton colliery.
- Mallingford station was Bristol Temple Meads.
- Watch for:
- Encounter between a 14xx and an Aveling & Porter steam roller
- the cross-country flight of a 14xx
- vintage loco Lion was damaged during filming (the large impact seen in the film wqas genuine)
- the steam roller was still in commercial use at the time of the filming, but was subsequently sold into preservation
- Further info: ImDB entry, Wikipedia article
Films 'featuring' a train
(some of this lot may not be relevant here!)
- Back to the Future Part III
- Bad Day at Black Rock
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - train robbers.
- Danger Lights
- Emperor of the North Pole
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- Final Destination 3
- Force 10 from Navarone
- From Russia with Love
- The Ladykillers (1955)
- The Lady Vanishes
- The Longest Day - D-Day
- Mrigaraju - man eating lion at rail bridge site
- The Narrow Margin
- Northwest Frontier
- O Brother, Where Art Thou?
- October Sky
- Pather Panchali
- Shadow of a Doubt
- Silver Streak
- Under Siege 2: Dark Territory
- A Fish Called Smith - some views of Iranian railways in the mountains.
- Eschede train disaster - National Geographic channel
- Night Mail
- Seconds from Disaster - highlights some rail accidents
- Casey Jones Ã¢ÂÂ series
- Oh, Doctor Beeching!
- Petticoat Junction Ã¢ÂÂ series
- Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends Ã¢ÂÂ series