From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
Help:Contents – Site map
Editing Train Spotting World
To learn how to keep track of your (or other people's) edits, see Keeping track of changes.
For lists of stub types, categories, infoboxes etc., see Resources and lists.
For image use, see Images and media.
To learn the rules of Train Spotting World, see policies and guidelines.
- Contributing to Train Spotting World a guide on ways to get involved in editing.
- Introduction to the project.
- Cheatsheet - an editing reference card.
- Simplified ruleset - essential information to understand when editing articles (for new editors).
- Glossary - understand Train Spotting World jargon.
Editing - how to:
Experiment with editing pages in the sandbox. You can also carry out editing experiments "in situ" by editing the page itself and using the Show Preview button. Be careful not to accidentally save the page though! If you do, then Revert your changes.
- Trains:Using JAWS- (the screen reader JAWS)
- Edit a page, including markup details.
- Help:Editing - annotated cheatsheet
- Bite sized tips for the most common tasks.
- Create links - (Change the title of a link (piped link))
- Use sections in an article
- Use categories
- Insert a picture
- Use redirect pages
- Create infoboxes
- Create templates - (Quick guide, List of available templates)
- Create lists
- Use footnotes and references
- Use tables
- Use mathematical formulae
- Use special characters. The display of fonts and other character sets in your browser.
- Use easy timeline syntax
- Valid HTML codes in wikitext
- Use "Magic words" and Variables. These allow you to change default behaviour or automate text. For example you can disable a Table of Contents or move its position, or insert constants and timestamps.
Saving - how to:
- Report your change in the edit summary
- Handle an edit conflict
- Use minor edits
- Use the preview button
Creating pages - how to:
- Start a new article
- Start a new page - for pages that are not articles
- Name a page
- Naming conventions in general - (full list of specific naming conventions)
- Disambiguation, create pages for topics with several different definitions
- Create subpages
Article maintenance - how to:
- Merge two or more pages, or move (rename) a page - (Requested moves)
- Delete pages/images/categories
- Stub articles - (List of Stub Styles)
- Use talk pages (discussion pages)
- Archive a talk page
- Revert a page to an earlier version
- Deal with vandalism
- Protect and unprotect pages (Administrators only)
- Link together Trains articles in different languages
- Link words in articles to articles on sister projects
- Use page names
- Use namespaces
- Use headings as anchors to link to
- Translate articles
- Archive Current Events
- Do a purge
- Edit with a text editor
- Test edits, and other things
- Editing shortcuts
- List of style guidelines
- Layout How to structure Trains articles.
- Naming conventions
- Disambiguation (pages which resolve ambiguity for articles with similar titles)
- Image use
- When to use tables
- Use proper names
- Creating an article series
- Using Summary style on the overview page
Manual of Style
The Manual of Style is a comprehensive style guide for Trains articles. See a full list of the submanuals on the right, or a concise list below.
- Main Manual of Style
- Dates & numbers
- Sister projects
Life cycle of an article
- Article development - lists the stages in an article's development and offers ways to help improve articles.
- Perfect articles - a checklist of components required to make a "perfect" article.
- Start a new page
- Write your first article
- Guide to writing better articles
The Trains interface
Find your way around the screen.
- Editing toolbar
- Using Page History
- Using User Contributions pages
- Using Talk pages
- Using the Recent Changes page
- Using the Related Changes page
- Using Diff pages
- Edit conflicts
Help:Contents/Images and media
Help:Contents/Policies, conventions and guidelines
Help:Contents/The Trains community
Help:Contents/Resources and lists
Help:Contents/Account settings and maintenance