Elgin and Belvidere Electric Railway
The Elgin and Belvidere Electric Railway opened in 1907 and the 36 mile line connected Belvidere and Elgin, Illinois.
In 1924 Bion J. Arnold acquired the railroad after it went into finiancial difficulties. His company, The Arnold Company, designed and built the power generating stations and the overhead structure for the railway.
On March 9, 1930 the railroad ceased operations due to competition from the parallel Chicago and North Western Railway and from the automobile. Arnold scrapped the line himself in the mid to late 1930's.
In 1956 the Illinois Railway Museum acquired 7 miles of the abandoned right or way through a delinquent tax sale east of Union, IL.