Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad
|Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad|
|Dates of operation||1850 – 1953|
|Successor line||Western Maryland Railway|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8½ in (1435 mm) (standard gauge)|
|Headquarters||Mount Savage, Maryland|
The Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad was an American Class III railroad which operated in Western Maryland. Primarily a coal hauler, it was owned by the Consolidation Coal Company, and was absorbed into the Western Maryland Railway in 1953.
The line ran from Cumberland, Maryland to Piedmont, West Virginia, at both points interchanging with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The railroad's shops were located at Mount Savage, Maryland, also the location of its headquarters. On the way to Piedmont the line passed through (and under) Frostburg, Maryland, where the C&P station stands today as the western terminus of the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad.
The early charter date reflects Mt. Savage as an early foundry of iron rail and manufacturer of locomotives in the United States. The first iron rail rolled in the United States was produced at Mt. Savage in 1844, and in 1866 James Millholland opened the locomotive shops which became the center of the railroad. From 1868 to 1917 the shops produced at least 30 locomotives for the C&P, as well as standard and narrow gauge engines for other lines.
In addition to the station in Frostburg, many of the shop buildings still remain at Mt. Savage. Parts of the route north from Piedmont are still in service as part of CSXT.
- Eckhart Railroad (owned by the Maryland Mining Company)
- Mount Savage Railroad (owned by the Mount Savage Coal and Iron Company)
- Georges Creek Railroad (owned by the Georges Creek Coal and Iron Company)
- ↑ "The Mount Savage Iron Works" Patrick H. Stakem
- ↑ "The Mount Savage Locomotive Shops" Patrick H. Stakem