Carson and Colorado Railroad
The Carson and Colorado Railroad was a U.S. railroad that ran from Mound House, Nevada, to Keeler, California. It was incorporated on May 10, 1880, and construction on the railroad began on May 31, 1880. Narrow gauge rail of 3 ft (914 mm) was chosen for cost. The first train arrived at Keeler on August 1, 1883.
Sale to the Southern Pacific
The Virginia & Truckee, the parent company of the Carson & Colorado, sold the line to the Southern Pacific in 1900. The Southern Pacific continued to operate the line as the Carson & Colorado until it consolidated most of its narrow gauge lines into the Nevada & California. Portions of the line were abandoned in the 1930s and the 1940s, and operations ceased entirely by 1960.