From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 13 – The Hicksville and Cold Springs Branch Railroad, on Long Island, New York, is extended to Huntington.
- January 14 – The Colorado Central and Pacific Railroad, which began construction of a new line between Denver and Golden two weeks earlier, is reorganized as the Colorado Central Railroad.
- February 11 – The Columbus and Indiana Central Railway and the Chicago and Great Eastern Railway merge to form the Columbus, Chicago and Indiana Central Railway connecting Chicago to Columbus, Ohio under one railroad company.
- February 13 – The Omaha and Southwestern Railroad is incorporated in Nebraska.
- ↑ Long Island Rail Road History. Arrt's Arrchives. Retrieved on 2008-01-12.
- ↑ Morris, J. C. (1902-12-31). “1840's”, Annual Report of the Commissioner of Railroads and Telegraphs. Retrieved on 2008-02-07.
- ↑ Morton, J. Sterling and Watkins, Albert (1918). “Chapter XXXIII”, History of Nebraska. Lincoln, Nebraska: Western Publishing and Engraving Company. Retrieved on 2008-02-07.