In 1959, the name Nasuno was used on a semi-express service (準急) between Ueno and Kuroiso on the Tōhoku Main Line. In 1966, this was upgraded to an express (急行). From 1968, Nasuno services were expanded, serving Nikkō, Utsunomiya, Nasushiobara and Shirakawa. The Nasuno services were discontinued in 1985. In 1995, the name was adopted for the new all-stations services on the Tōhoku Shinkansen. Prior to 1995, Aoba services had performed local services along the whole line. However, with the introduction of short-distance Nasuno services, Aoba services were reduced. In 1997, Aoba services were discontinued altogether, with the local services covered by Nasuno as far as Kōriyama, and all further stations served by the Yamabiko.
The name Nasuno is derived from the Nasu Highlands (那須高原) and Nasu Onsen (那須温泉) areas located alongside the Tōhoku Shinkansen between Utsunomiya and Koriyama.
There are approximately 16 return Nasuno services daily, starting/terminating either at Oyama, Nasushiobara, or Kōriyama. The majority of services are during the morning and evening rush hours and are primarily used by workers commuting into and out of Tokyo. Double decker Nasuno services, named Max Nasuno, are also in service. All Nasuno services stop at all stations.