From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
- January 6 – Emile Péreire, founder of the southern and northern railways of Spain, dies.
- January 30 – The Detroit, Hillsdale and Indiana Railroad, a predecessor of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway, is reorganized as the Detroit, Hillsdale and Southwestern Railroad.
- May 24 – Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway: A 3' gauge line was opened for the transportation of haematite iron ore from mines around Boot village in Cumbria in the UK.
- (1913) “History of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company”, Annual Report. New York Central Railroad System. Retrieved on 2008-01-28.
- Morris, J. C. (1902-12-31). “1870's”, Annual Report of the Commissioner of Railroads and Telegraphs - Part II: History of the Railroads of Ohio. Retrieved on 2008-02-05.