The Virginia-Carolina Railway was an interstate railroad in southwestern Virginia and northwestern North Carolina. It ran from Abingdon in Washington County, Virginia to Todd in Ashe County, North Carolina. The line charted a complicated course through the mountains of the area, crossing the Blue Ridge not far from Mount Rogers.
Construction of the railroad was begun in 1885 by the Abingdon Coal and Iron Railroad but the company folded before the railroad became operational. Construction was continued by the Virginia Western Coal and Iron Railroad, but financial difficulties persisted. Norfolk and Western sponsored the Virginia-Carolina Railway, which took over the line in 1898 and finally completed construction to Damascus in 1900. In 1907, the line had reached Taylor's Valley. The Hassinger Lumber Co., whose mill was seven miles away in Konnarock, built the Virginia-Carolina & Southern Railway to make this connection. Later, the V-C&S would be absorbed into the V-C, which used it as a branch line to the mill. The V-C was extended through the Blue Ridge to White Top in 1912 and to its terminus by 1920. Norfolk and Western absorbed the line 1919 and operated it as its Abingdon branch. Operations ceased in 1977 after flooding damaged portions of the track.
Most of the former roadbed in Virginia is occupied by the Virginia Creeper Trail. Efforts are underway to extend the trail into North Carolina.