Aberdeen Railway

From TrainSpottingWorld, for Rail fans everywhere
Jump to: navigation, search
Aberdeen Railway
Stations and Major Junctions (north to south)
Stations in bold are still open
Junctions in italics
Aberdeen
Guild Street
Ferryhill Junction
Cove Bay
Portlethen
Newtonhill
Muchals
Stonehaven
Drumlithie
Fordoun
Laurencekirk
Marykirk
Craigo      Montrose
Kinnaber Junction      Broomfield
Junction Halt
Dubton
Bridge of Dun
      Brechin            Farnell Road
Glasterlaw
Glasterlaw
Junction

The Aberdeen Railway was a railway that ran mainly along the North East coast of Scotland south from Aberdeen to Guthrie on the Arbroath and Forfar Railway. There were branches to Montrose and Brechin. It received royal assent in 1845.

Contents

History

Openings

Early Operations and Amalgamations

The line was operated by the Scottish Central Railway between 12 May 1851 and 31 July 1854.

On 29 July 1856 a merger took place with the Scottish Midland Junction Railway to form the Scottish North Eastern Railway connecting Perth to Aberdeen. This latter company was absorbed by the Caledonian Railway on 10 August 1866, which in turn became part of the LMS on 1 July 1923.

Closures and re-openings

Connections to other Lines

Current Operations

The line between Aberdeen and Kinnaber Junction is still open as part of the Aberdeen to Edinburgh/Glasgow service operated by First Scotrail. The section between Brechin and Bridge of Dun is operated as a heritage railway by the Caledonian Railway (Brechin)

References



Personal tools
<
September 2017
>
MTWTFSS
123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930
Events Upcoming
More »